Protecting the School Apps Owner account Follow
In this article:
- What is the School Apps Owner account?
- How do I protect this account?
- What to know if you're using Google Cloud Directory Sync (GCDS)
- How do I recover a School Apps Owner account?
What is the School Apps Owner account?
The School Apps Owner account is automatically created when Hāpara is first set up for a domain. The account is used to manage a variety of processes in Hāpara, including Smart Share, and owns all Google Drive folders created for Hāpara Dashboard.
The account is by default named school.apps.owner, but you can choose a different username during the initial setup of Hāpara.
If you wish to change the name of this account after you have already set up Hāpara and loaded classes/students, please contact support before making any changes to your settings.
If your domain's School Apps Owner account is not named school.apps.owner, then you can find its username as follows:
- Log into the Hapara Admin Console.
- Browse to Configuration > Google Apps Settings.
- Scroll down to the section named School Apps Owner Account.
How do I protect this account?
Your school.apps.owner account should be protected by all administrators of your Google domain. Please DO NOT delete the account for any reason. If the account is deleted and not restored in time, there may be an irreversible impact on all existing Hāpara folders and classes.
This account is at greatest risk of being deleted manually when tidying up your Google Admin Console, which may occur routinely or when a new administrator begins at your school.
Please ensure that anyone with super administrator privileges to your Google domain is aware of the school.apps.owner account's role in Hāpara and the importance of its safety.
What to know if you're using Google Cloud Directory Sync
Google Cloud Directory Sync (GCDS) and similar sync tools pose a risk to your school.apps.owner account if they have not been configured for Hāpara. You must set exclusion rules to keep this user from being deleted or suspended automatically.
If you are using GCDS, please protect your school.apps.owner account by following the steps in this article: Configuring GCDS for Hāpara Dashboard.
How do I recover a School Apps Owner account?
If this account is deleted, please take steps immediately to try to recover the account. After five days, Google will permanently delete the account, removing its content and folders from Google Drive.
If your school.apps.owner account is inactive or has been suspended or deleted on accident, please take these steps to attempt recovery as soon as possible:
- Log in to your Google Admin Console as a Super Administrator.
- Click Users.
- In the By User Type drop-down in the page's left-hand panel, select to filter by type Suspended users.
- Look for the school.apps.owner@<your_domain> account. If the user is there, then restore it.
- If the user is not there, then switch to Recently deleted users in the By User Type drop down.
- Look for the user. If the user is there, then select the account and click undelete in the Actions drop-down.
If you cannot recover this account, please contact our team for assistance.