How to share links/websites with students Follow
In this article:
Share links overview
The Share links feature allows you to open websites on students’ devices. You can open up to 10 websites at a time for select learners, groups of students or a whole class.
This feature can be especially helpful when you:
- want to quickly get learners all on the same page to start class
- are working with younger students who may have a hard time typing in complex URLs
- want to direct students to specific resources to help with research
When you share links with students, they will open in the learners’ Chrome browsers automatically. Students will be able to close or navigate away from the tabs if they wish. If you need students to stay on the websites you share, we recommend guiding their browsing instead.
If you would like to prepare class material ahead of time, you can schedule links to open for students at a later date/time.
How to share links to multiple learners
To open new tabs on your learners’ screens:
Click the Share links button
Enter the website URL(s) you want to open on your students’ screens.
Select your recipients. You can select an individual or multiple learners, groups, or your entire class.
Click the Share links button. Within seconds, the tabs will open in your students' browsers.
Note: We recommend using the "https://" prefix where a login is required. If you forget it, Google will redirect your learners from say http://mail.google.com to https://mail.google.com and this will fail if https is not specified. You can access previously opened URLs by selecting Recent Tabs.
How to share links to an individual student
If you would like to share a website with an individual student, you can follow the steps above, selecting Student(s) in the third step and then selecting the individual, or you can send links directly from that student's tile.
To share links from the student tile:
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner of the tile
- Select Share links
- Enter the website URL(s) you want to open on the student's screen.
- Click the Share links button. Within seconds, the tabs will open in your student's browser.