What to do when multiple devices are detected in Highlights Follow
In this article:
Multiple devices overview
A student can be logged onto multiple devices (for example, two laptops) simultaneously. If the devices all have the Highlights extension installed, then Highlights will "see" both devices but not know which device to automatically show.
When Highlights detects a student is logged into more than one device, you will see a yellow multi-device icon on the Student Tile.
If no device has been selected, Highlights will not show any browsing activity until you select a device to view.
To select a device to view:
1. Click the blue Select a device button.
2. A window will open showing a list of the devices the student is logged into. The website currently open on each device will be listed.
3. Click on one of the devices in the list to show the student's activity for that device. The multi-device icon will remain on the Student Tile.
4. If you would like to see activity on another device, click the yellow multi-device icon to open the window again.
How to resolve multiple device log-in issues
A student can remain logged into multiple devices and the teacher can switch between devices as described above. We recommend, though, that when a teacher sees a student is logged into multiple devices, they ask the student to log out of the devices they are not currently using.
This will help Highlights run as smoothly as possible and is a lesson in digital hygiene for the student. Remaining logged in to unused devices, especially if they are shared, can be a big security risk.
If the student has access to the other devices they are logged into, they can follow these instructions to log out:
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Click Sign out.
Signing out of Chrome profiles on a Mac or PC:
- In a Chrome browser, click on the Profile picture in the top right corner.
- Click the Manage people icon that looks like a cog.
- Point to or hover over your profile.
- At the top right of your profile, click the three dots.
- Then click Remove this person.
- Confirm by clicking Remove this person.