Creating class groups and adding students to groups Follow
In this article:
- Creating class groups in Hāpara
- Creating a new group
- Adding or removing students in groups
- Changing the name or color of a group
- Why it's helpful to create groups
- What are Hāpara Workspace groups and how are they helpful?
- Using class groups in Hāpara Workspace
The Groups feature in Hāpara allows you to easily differentiate and personalize instruction. You can do this by sharing resources, sending messages and setting up browsing guidelines by group. You can create groups in a class to support a variety of instructional purposes, such as grouping by academic needs, project interest or seating arrangement.
Creating class groups in Hāpara
All teachers assigned to a class can use the Groups feature and see student groups that are created. Once one teacher sets up groups, these groups will also be available to any co-teachers of that class.
You can create a student group for a class in Highlights or Teacher Dashboard. Once you create a group, you can access it in both tools, as well as in Workspace.
Set up a new group from any Teacher Dashboard or Highlights menu.
1. Click the Groups drop-down in the top right toolbar.
2. Then click New Group.
3. Edit the group name by typing in the text box.
4. Select a color to assign to the group. This will appear on the Student Tiles for students who belong to the group.
Adding or removing students in groups
From a newly created group:
1. Click the blue + Add button to add students to the new group.
2. From the list, select students to add to the group.
Adding or removing students at a later time:
1. Click the Groups drop-down menu.
2. Click the Edit Groups button at the bottom of the window.
3. Click the pencil icon next to the group you would like to edit.
Changing the name or color of a group1. Click the Groups drop-down menu.
Why it's helpful to create groups
- Organization: Filter your Teacher Dashboard view by group to organize Student Tiles and focus on one group at a time.
- Differentiation: Create groups in Highlights to differentiate online instruction more easily. For example, you can share links or guide browsing for groups and include websites that meet grouped students’ different instructional needs.
- Learning accommodations: For students with IEPs, more easily incorporate accommodations by creating groups based on student needs. For example, you can create a group for students who need extra time on assessments and then set up a guided session that gives them that extra time.
- Collaboration: Create groups based on students’ interests, and then send online content to groups with the Share links button.
What are Hāpara Workspace groups and how are they helpful?
Workspace groups allow teachers to support collaborative, differentiated learning as students engage with the content of a Workspace. Here are a few features of Workspace groups that make them helpful:
- Cards can be assigned to groups: Once you create a group in a Workspace, you can then assign Workspace Cards to the group based on the learning needs and/or interests of students in that particular group.
- Groups can be formed in flexible ways: Workspace groups are set up so that you can create groups as small or as large as you wish — from just one student to a few students to an entire class. You can set up your groups when you create the Workspace, or at any point after you’ve published it for students. You can base groups on the same types of criteria you use in the real classroom. Plus, you can create up to 200 groups in Workspace, allowing even the largest classes to have collaborative Workspaces.
- Groups can promote peer-to-peer communication and collaboration: Workspace groups encourage student communication and collaboration. Students can see the other members of their groups and email them directly from the Groups area of the Workspace.
- Workspaces can be shared across classes more efficiently: You can use the same Workspace with multiple classes. Then you can vary the content when you need to by assigning different Workspace Cards to different class groups.
- Your Workspace can be filtered by group: You can click to filter your Workspace by the group whose cards you want to see. This makes it easier for you to see what different groups are working on and make sure you’re giving your groups the digital material you want.
Using class groups in Hāpara Workspace
When setting up groups in Teacher Dashboard or Highlights, you can also add the groups in Hāpara Workspace.
1. In a Workspace, click the Students & Groups tab.
2. Then click the + button to add a new group.
3. Type over the group name to change it.
4. Select a color for the group.
5. Click the blue Next at the bottom.
6. In the side panel, select the class to open a list of class groups and individual students.
3. Drag and drop the class group name into the group box you just created.
This will copy the students from your class group into your Workspace group.
Keep in mind that if you make changes to your class groups in Highlights or Teacher Dashboard after setting up your Workspace group, those changes will not be reflected in Workspace.
Reminder: Students can see the names of the groups they are in in Workspace, so you may not want to use the same group names you use elsewhere in Hāpara.