Accessing student folders from Teacher Dashboard Follow
In this article:
Hāpara works alongside Google Drive to streamline instruction and learning. One of the ways Hāpara Teacher Dashboard does this is by working with Google Drive to organize and store students’ files. It creates a folder for each of your students, giving you easy, organized access to the work students are doing in Google Drive.
How does Hāpara work with Google Drive to create folders?
When your Hāpara administrator uploads classes to Hāpara, Hāpara works with Google Drive to create a folder for each student in your class. The administrator account owns the folders, and the folders are shared with teachers and students.
Teachers have sharing and editing abilities over all their students’ folders, and each student has sharing and editing abilities over their individual folder. For example, aside from adding files, a teacher may want to share folders with a co-teacher. Or a student may want to share their math class folder with the science teacher in a STEM program.
Where are the folders stored?
Once created, the folders are stored in the Shared with me section of Google Drive for teachers and students. If you teach younger students more than one subject, you’ll see a class folder and then subject folders. If you teach older students, you’ll see a folder for each class.
What’s the best way to open a student folder?
As you’re using Hāpara to streamline instruction, you don’t have to switch over to Google Drive to look for a student folder. Teacher Dashboard makes it simple to open a student folder so you can dive into learning progress. For example, you may want to prepare for a parent-teacher conference by looking through the work a student has accomplished throughout the grading period.
To open a student folder from Teacher Dashboard:
1. Find the student’s individual Student Tile.
2. Click the drop-down menu on the top right.
3. Select Open Folder.
4. A new tab will open on your device. You will see the student’s Hāpara folder in Google Drive and all of the files it contains.
How can you customize student folders?
To make it even easier for you to find folders and help students manage their work, Hāpara recommends two ways to customize student folders.
- Append student names to folders: Ask your administrator to do this for you when they upload your class to Teacher Dashboard. This organizes your class folder and allows you to find student folders quickly.
- Create subfolders in student folders: You and your students may find it helpful to organize class or subject folders with subfolders, such as “Essays,” “Quizzes,” “Bell Ringers,” or “Homework.”
Note: Don’t rename student folders or move them around in Google Drive. If you do, Hāpara may not be able to find student work and may duplicate folders.
What if you can’t find a folder?
There may be times when you can’t find a student’s folder in your class folder. That’s because you or a student may have accidentally moved it. Luckily, the Class Info tab offers a quick and simple solution — resetting folders.
To reset folders using the Class Info tab:
1. Click the Class Info tab in the dark blue section at the top.
2. On the top right, click the three dots to open the drop-down menu.
3. Select Reset folders.
4. The folders will reset to their original places.
This process will also revert folders to their original names, which is helpful if you’ve accidentally renamed a folder and Teacher Dashboard can no longer find it.