Ways to give formative feedback with Hāpara tools Follow
In this article:
Giving students formative feedback while learning is taking place helps students progress in their academic journey. When you give students feedback as they learn, rather than at the end of learning, there are more opportunities for growth.
There are several ways that Hāpara tools make it easier for you to give consistent feedback and help your students achieve.
How does Hāpara Teacher Dashboard help you give formative feedback?
Hāpara Teacher Dashboard is a tool that allows you to access all of the work students are doing in Google Workspace for Education. With your students’ work in one place, Teacher Dashboard helps you easily provide formative feedback to students and manage multiple learning cycles. Instead of spending your time looking for an assignment, you can spend that time on giving meaningful feedback on student work.
Teacher Dashboard has three main features that help you with giving formative feedback.
Teacher Dashboard displays all of your students’ recent work. Each student in your class has a Student Tile that shows you their recent files.
You can hover over any of these files to get a preview, and click on them to open them and leave formative feedback.
You can also click on the drop-down in the Student Tile to open the student’s Google Drive folder.
Use this option to email students feedback from one simple place.
To email a student from Teacher Dashboard:
1. Find the student’s Student Tile.
2. Click the three dots on the right to open the drop-down menu.
3. Then select Email.
4. This will open a blank email with the student’s school email address already entered.
5. Complete your email and send.
Use this feature to provide formative feedback with supporting materials. If a student needs more support or resource ideas, you can send them a Google Doc, Sheet, Slide or Drawing.
To access Share files:
1. In Teacher Dashboard, click the blue Share files button on the top right-hand side.
2. You can share an existing file that you upload from your Google Drive. Or you can share a new Google Doc, Google Sheet, Google Slide or Google Drawing.
How does Hāpara Highlights help you give formative feedback?
Hāpara Highlights is where you can manage online lessons for students by viewing their screens, sharing links and guiding their browsing experience. Giving live formative feedback is easy during a Highlights session because of the visibility into students’ online activity that Highlights provides.
There are three main communication tools for providing formative feedback in Highlights.
The Message feature allows you to send a short, instant message to individual students, a group or the class. By using this feature, you can quickly give feedback in the moment to help clear up any misconceptions or provide encouragement.
You can write up to just 170 characters in your message. That’s because it’s meant as a way to give quick, concise feedback like redirections, reminders, positive support and other timely feedback during an online lesson.
Follow these steps to send a message to students:
1. Click on the Message button in the top right-hand corner.
2. Select Class, Students or Groups.
3. Type your message.
4. Click Add emoji to add an optional emoji with your note.
5. Select which class(es), student(s) or group(s) should receive the message.
6. Click Send message at the bottom.
You can also click the Message icon on a student’s Student Tile to send a message.
In Highlights, you can also send an email to a student. This allows you to provide more detailed feedback when needed.
To email a student from Highlights:
1. Click Browser Tabs or Current Screens at the top.
2. Find the student’s Student Tile.
3. Click the three dots on the right to open the drop-down menu.
4. Then select Email.
5. This will open a blank email with the student’s school email address already entered.
6. Complete your email and send.
In Highlights, you can also use Snaps to give students formative feedback with concrete, visual documentation of a student’s screen and browsing activity.
After you take a Snap, you can send it along with formative feedback to the student. Because the feedback includes an image, students will have a clearer understanding of your comments.
To send a Snap with formative feedback to a student:
1. Click the Snaps tab at the top of your page.
2. Select the correct Snap.
3. Click Send learner(s) feedback, located in the top right-hand corner.
4. Verify that the student’s name in the template is correct.
5. Select from the feedback templates options.
6. Type the subject and message into the boxes.
7. Select Include timeline + current screen. These details will be sent to the student.
8. Click Send feedback.
How does Hāpara Workspace help you give formative feedback?
Hāpara Workspace is where you can curate all the online content that you want students to engage with for a project, lesson or unit.
You can also give students formative feedback as they complete the Workspace. This helps students stay motivated while working on the Workspace, and it helps them make stronger progress throughout their Workspace learning experience.
First, you can email a student to send them detailed feedback about their Workspace progress. There are several spots within a Workspace to make it easier for you to quickly send an email.
To send an email from Workspace:
1. From Workspace in your Hāpara account, click on an individual Workspace to open it.
2. In the Groups section on the left, click on a group to expand the list of students.
3. Click the email icon next to a student’s name.
To send an email from the Activity Summary tab in a Workspace:
1. At the top of a Workspace, click Activity Summary.
2. Click the email icon on the same line as the student’s name.
To send an email from the Individual Activity tab in a Workspace:
1. At the top of a Workspace, click Individual Activity.
2. Click the email icon on the same line as the student’s name.
Activity Summary tab
After students have submitted assignments in Workspace through Evidence Cards, you can add comments to the file. Then you can return that file with the new feedback to the student. They’ll be able to review, make edits and then resubmit the assignment.
To return a file with feedback for the student to review:
1. In a Workspace, click Activity Summary.
2. In the Submitted evidence window, click on the file name.
3. Then click Return for edit.