How do I schedule guided browsing ahead of time? Follow
In this article:
The scheduling features in Hāpara Highlights allow you to organize all of your student browsing sessions ahead of time. As a result, you don’t have to waste valuable class time getting students to where they need to be during an online lesson. Highlights also stores all of your scheduled session information so you don’t have to start from scratch every time. That leaves more time for instruction, meaningful learning experiences, formative feedback and differentiated support for your students.
Ways to schedule guided browsing
You can schedule a guided browsing session using two features: Share links or Guide browsing.
To access either of these two features:
1. Log in through app.hapara.com.
2. Select your class.
3. Click Highlights at the top of your page.
4. Click Share links or Guide browsing.
The Share links allows you to open specific websites in tabs on students’ devices. For example, you may want to automatically open the resources from a lesson for students. That way they don’t have to open each link themselves, and they can get started as soon as class begins.
1. Click the Share links button on the right-hand side of Highlights.
2. Type the link(s) you want to share and press Enter.
3. Select The Class, Student(s) or Group(s).
4. Next to Do you want to schedule this session for later?, toggle to Yes.
5. Select a date.
6. Select a time.
7. Click Schedule Session.
This feature allows students to only visit the websites you specify or prevent students from visiting certain websites. For example you may want students to get started on an online assessment when a class period begins — but you don’t want them to visit other sites.
Or perhaps you’re going to be away from the classroom for professional development. You know that certain websites distract your students, so you decide to schedule a filter session for the day a substitute teacher will be working with your class.
1. Click the Guide browsing button on the right-hand side of Highlights.
2. Select Set up a Focus season or Set up a Filter session.
3. Type the link(s) you want to focus the students on or the link(s) you want to restrict. Then press Enter.
4.Select The Class, Student(s) or Group(s).
5. Select or type the amount of time the session will last.
6. Select whether or not to keep the links open when the session ends.
7. Select whether or not to restore students’ original tabs when the session ends.
8. Next to Do you want to schedule this session for later?, toggle to Yes.
9. Select a date.
10. Select a time.
11. Click Schedule Session.
Using the Schedule tab
Another scheduling feature in Highlights is the Schedule tab. You’ll find it at the top of your Highlights page.
Information you’ll find in the Schedule tab
A record of all of the browsing sessions that you’ve scheduled is stored in the Schedule tab of Highlights.
Under the Schedule tab, sessions are divided into three categories:
- This week
- All upcoming sessions
- Past sessions
In each of these categories, you’ll see information about the scheduled sessions:
- Date/time they’re scheduled
- Session type (share links, focus session or filter session)
- Audience you’ve selected
- Number of links included in the session
You can also:
- Use the pencil icon to modify any upcoming sessions
- Duplicate past sessions that you want to use again
- Delete a scheduled session
- Click Schedule a session to set up a new session
What you can do with the Schedule tab
Schedule browsing sessions ahead of time
Access information about scheduled browsing sessions
Strategies for scheduling guided browsing
There are many ways that scheduling guided browsing can help you manage online learning. The most obvious is getting ahead in lesson planning. In fact, you can schedule sessions up to a month in advance. Another strategy is to create easy-to-manage lessons for substitute teachers or teachers covering a class period. You can even plan entire class periods from home by scheduling guided browsing ahead of time for your students.