How to let teachers create and manage classes Follow
In this article:
- Create class overview
- How to enable manual class creation
- How to enable class management from the Class Info page
- Adding students to td.students
- Frequently asked questions
Create class overview
There are several settings in Hāpara that you can enable to give teachers the power to create and/or manage their class enrollments. This can be done by:
- Enabling the create class option
- Allowing teachers to manage co-teachers and learners in existing classes through the Class Info page
Note: If teachers or students are added via the Class Info page and a data load is subsequently run, the changes made via the Class Info page will take precedence. This means that data loads will NOT overwrite changes made on the Class Info page. This holds for all data loads run using the Data Loader section of the Hāpara Admin Console - whether using the Manual, Sync or URL load method.
How to enable manual class creation
Enabling manual class creation allows teachers to create their own classes, add co-teachers and add students, without having to wait for an admin.
Manual class creation can be used alongside other data loading options, or as your primary method for loading class and student data.
Note: If this is your primary data loading option, while it gives teachers more control, it also increases the initial set up burden for teachers getting started with Hāpara. There are also some limitations in functionality for these classes. It’s important to consider all of your options when selecting a data loading method.
To enable Create Class:
- In the Hāpara Admin Console, select the Optional Settings tab
- Choose Class Management
- Under the Create New Classes Manually section, check the Allow Teachers to Create New Classes in Hāpara checkbox
Verifying Teachers and Students
There are several methods of verification available, to ensure Hāpara does not sync any teachers as students or students as teachers by mistake.
We ask School Administrators to choose from at least one of the following validation options:
Domain or School Google Group(s)
In specified Google Group(s)
Not in specified Google Group
Data Load / SIS sync
Loaded via Hāpara Data Loader
Loaded via Hāpara Data Loader
Data Load AND
In specified Google Group(s), OR loaded via Hāpara Data Loader
Not in Google Group, OR Loaded Hāpara Data Loader
- Domain or School Google Group(s) ONLY: Google Group memberships are used to verify teachers and grant access to Hāpara. When a teacher attempts to add a student to a class, Hāpara will check to ensure that the student is NOT in any teacher Google Group(s).
Note: Domains with multiple schools can provide a domain Google Group containing Admins and other staff at the root level who should access ALL schools, and separate Google Groups per school containing teachers who can only access that school.
- Data Load / SIS sync ONLY: Teachers and students are loaded to Hāpara via the Data Loader either systematically via SIS sync or cURL or manually by an Administrator. Teachers can only add known teachers or students that have been processed by the Hāpara Data loader.
- Both Data Load AND Google Group: In this case, teachers and students are loaded by the Hāpara Data Loader, and Google Group memberships are also used to verify teachers. When a teacher attempts to add a student to a class, Hāpara will check to ensure that the student is NOT in any teacher Google Group(s).
Once Create Class is enabled, teachers will be able to create a new class from the Manage Classes page. Students and co-teachers can be added and removed on the Class Info page.
As noted above, certain features are not available with manually created classes. No class folders are created, so teachers see a Documents tab containing all Google Drive work shared with the teacher by the student in Dashboard. Teachers will also not be able to reset student passwords or email their entire class from the Class Info page. All other functionality in Workspace, Dashboard and Highlights remains the same.
How to enable class management from the Class Info page
Teachers can add students and co-teachers to classes from the Class Info page, if enabled by the Hāpara Administrator. This is a fantastic way to empower teachers to manage their class enrollments, and lessen the time it takes administrators to manage Hāpara.
To enable the option for teacher to add co-teachers or students to a class via Class Info, an administrator must enable the Class Management feature in the Hāpara Admin Console:
Hāpara Admin Console > Optional Settings > Class Management
These optional settings can be enabled or disabled as often as you need.
Adding students to td.students
A Domain Administrator can add student emails to td.students directly via the Google Admin Console, or to add students in bulk, we recommend a manual load via the Hāpara Data Loader:
- Make a student spreadsheet with just one column: Email.
- In that column, list all of your students' email addresses—one student per row.
- Upload that spreadsheet via your Hāpara Admin Console.
Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about this. Our team would be happy to check your class and student spreadsheets before you load them.
Frequently asked questions - FAQ
- Will this impact classes added by data load?
- How do you deactivate a class?
- Does this impact archiving?
- Can Manual Class Creation be enabled for some schools in my domain but not others?
- Can I have teachers in separate Google Groups for separate schools?
- Where should the Google Group be created?
- What should the Google Group be called?
- Who should be in the Google Group?
Will this impact classes added by data load?
Allowing teachers to create classes manually will have no impact on classes added by data load. You can still choose whether to allow teachers to add teachers or students to existing classes using the options on the Class Management page in the Hāpara Admin Console under Optional Settings.
How do you deactivate a class?
Any teacher in a class can deactivate the class, which will remove it from Manage Classes. Classes can be reactivated if the school administrator contacts the Hāpara Support Team.
Does this impact archiving?
When a complete archive is run at the end of a school year, manually created classes will be archived at the same time as any classes created by data load or SIS.
Can Manual Class Creation be enabled for some schools in my domain but not others?
Yes, manual class creation can be turned on at the domain level, and a Google Group added for verification, and then disabled for individual schools.
Can I have teachers in separate Google Groups for separate schools?
Yes, you can have one Google Group at the domain level containing any staff who should have access to all schools, and then add separate Google Groups for each of your schools containing the teachers who should be able to create classes for that school. See the example below.
Where should Google Group(s) for teacher validation be created?
Google Group(s) for teacher validation should either be:
- Created in the student domain, eg: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Added as an alias to a group created in the Teacher Domain, eg: email@example.com added as an alias to a Group in the teacher domain, eg: firstname.lastname@example.org
What should Google Group(s) for teacher validation be called?
Hāpara can use a Google Group with any name you choose, as long as the group has an address within the student domain.
It can be beneficial to use a name that makes the group’s purpose easy to identify by School Administrators, eg: “email@example.com”.
Who should be in the Google Group for teacher validation?
The group should contain any accounts that require teacher access to Hāpara Dashboard. There should be NO student accounts added to any of these teacher validation groups.