Signing into Chrome vs signing into your Google account Follow
In this article:
A benefit of Hāpara is that students can access it on any device, as long as they're signed in with their school-issued information. But if they use Hāpara on a personal device at home, they may want to keep their Hāpara browsing separate from any personal internet browsing. This is helpful, too, if family members share a device.
To keep Hāpara browsing separate, a student should sign in through the Chrome browser rather than just signing into their Google account. This creates a distinct profile in the Chrome browser so that they can keep school internet activity separate from other online browsing.
Signing into the Chrome browser also allows students to take their personalized Chrome settings and bookmarks with them from device to device.
How to sign into the Google Chrome browser as a student
1. Open Chrome on your computer.
2. Click the Profiles icon on the right-hand side of your screen. Or at the top of your screen, click Profiles.
3. From the drop-down menu, select + Add (if you clicked the icon) or Add Profile (if you clicked Profiles).
4. Then click the blue Sign in button to create your new Chrome profile.
5. In the window, type your school-issued email address. Then click Next.
6. Type your password. Then click Next.
7. Your new profile will be created. Click Next again at the bottom.
8. Then at the bottom of the new window, click Yes, I’m in. This will turn on the sync so that you can access your personalized settings and bookmarks.
Note: This is also an important step so that Hāpara Highlights can be used during class activities.
8. A new Chrome browser window will appear. You can now visit mystudentdashboard.com or another website for school.
You’ll notice two personal icons on the right-hand side.
The one on the top shows that you are using your new Chrome browser profile.
The one on the bottom shows that you’re signed into your school Google account.
How to log out and use the computer for personal browsing
1. If you want to log out and use the computer for personal browsing — or if another family member wants to use the computer — click on your school Google account icon. This is the one on the bottom.
2. Then select Sign out. This will log you out of your account and pause syncing in your Chrome profile.
How to sign in through your Chrome profile again
1. If you want to log into your Chrome profile again, click your Chrome profile icon on the top right.
2. Or if you don’t see your Chrome profile, click the icon and select your profile from the drop-down menu.
Then once it appears on the top right, click your Chrome profile icon.
3. Finally, click Sign in again.