How to close websites for students Follow
In this article
- Closing tabs overview
- Reasons for closing tabs
- How to close tabs from Browser Tabs
- How to close tabs from the Activity Viewer
- How to close tabs from Current Screens
Closing tabs overview
When students navigate to unsafe or off-task areas of the internet, you have the option to close those websites for students.
First, before you close a tab, we recommend clicking on the name of the website so you can view it yourself. Since distracted students are sometimes stuck, you can also send the student a message to ask if they need help. Or provide a gentle reminder so they have the opportunity to get back on task on their own. This type of formative feedback allows students to practice their digital citizenship decision-making.
If you find you are repeatedly closing tabs for a student, you may also want to consider using the guided browsing options to help them stay on task.
Reasons for closing tabs
When you close a student’s tab, you need to select a reason for closing the tab.
This feature provides students with more context as to why their tab is being closed. Data shows that providing a reason for closing a tab reduces the likelihood that students will repeat the off-task behavior. The goal is to help students make positive decisions online and become responsible digital citizens.
How to close tabs from Browser Tabs
In each Student Tile in Browser Tabs, you can close a student’s tab.
1. Click the X to the right of the website or document name.
2. Select a reason for closing the tab.
3. Then click Close tab.
4. The reason will then appear on the student’s screen.
How to close tabs in the Activity Viewer
The Unique Activity section of the Activity Viewer is a great way to view outlying browsing activity. This can help you quickly see if a student is doing further research or needs guidance.
If you notice any unique browsing activity that is not appropriate for class, you can click the X next to the website name. Then follow the steps for providing a reason for closing the student’s tab.
Closing tabs from Current Screens
In Current Screens, you can also close the tab a student is actively looking at.
1. At the bottom of the Student Tiles, click the X next to the website name.
2. Select the reason for closing the student’s tab.
3. Click Close tab.
In the expanded Student Tile, you can also close any tab a student has open.
- Click on a Student Tile to expand it.
- Next to the view of the student's screen, you will see a list of their open tabs. Click the X to close any of these tabs.
Just like closing tabs anywhere else in Highlights, you will be prompted to give students a reason for closing their tab.