What to do when multiple log ins are detected in Highlights Follow
In this article:
Multiple log ins overview
It is not uncommon for multiple people to be logged in to the same Chromebook or Chrome browser, especially in situations when devices are being shared. In Highlights, this can cause some unexpected results.
When Highlights detects that multiple accounts are logged in to the same device, the teacher will see a yellow icon in the student tile like this:
You can click on the icon to open a modal that will give you more information about who is logged in to the device.
In order to see the most accurate activity in Highlights, and to encourage students to build good digital hygiene, we recommend asking the student to sign all other accounts out of Google on their device. There is more information on how to do this below:
How to resolve multiple log in issues
If Highlights shows that more than one person is logged into the same device, direct the student currently using the device to log out of any other accounts.
Here are the steps the student can take to resolve these issues:
Resolving log in issues on a Chromebook
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Click Sign out
- Select your school account and sign back in
- Open google.com, Click on the profile picture in the top right corner
- Click on Manage accounts
- Hover over the account you want to remove
- Click on the three dots and click Remove account.
- Repeat for all other accounts you would like to remove.
Resolving log in issues on other devices
Signing out Chrome profiles on a Mac or PC:
- In a Chrome browser, click on the Profile picture in the top right corner
- Click the Manage people icon that looks like a cog
- Point to or hover over the person you want to remove.
- At the top right of the person, click the three dots
- Then click Remove this person.
- Confirm by clicking Remove this person.
- Then either add your school account, or select the right profile to continue
- Click on this link to sign out of all accounts: https://accounts.google.com/Logout?continue=https://www.google.com
- Sign back in using your school account.
- Open google.com
- Click on your profile picture
- Click on Sign out of all accounts