Why students appear "Offline" in Highlights Follow
In this article:
Why students appear Offline overview
Sometimes, the student tile in Highlights may show a student as Offline. This may be because they:
- Are not present or accountable to class on that day.
- Have closed or turned off their device.
- Are not connected to the internet.
- Are not using Chrome browser to browse the internet.
- Are not logged in to Chrome browser.
- Are logged in to Chrome browser or their Chromebook with a different account.
- Are logged in to Chrome or their Chromebook with a non-Hāpara recognized account.
- Do not have the Hāpara Highlights extension installed on their device.
A student can check the connection between their device and Hāpara by clicking on the Highlights Chrome extension on the impacted student's device:
Clicking on the extension will open a page that provides some more information about how the student is logged in and whether there are any connection issues.
If you are working remotely with students, we suggest asking them to do this in a video call with their screen shared, so you can see the results.
If the Hapara icon is not visible then the Highlights Extension is not installed on the student's device, please check the student is logged in with their Google account and has synced their Chrome browser, then contact a G-Suite Administrator in your school to install the Highlights Extension to this student's device.
Resolving login issues
If the Highlights extension shows that a student is logged in with any account(s) other than their own school account, students should log out of all accounts and sign back in with their school account.
Here are the steps the student can take to resolve these issues:
Resolvinglog in issues on a Chromebook
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Click Sign out
- Select your school account and sign back in
- Open google.com, Click on the profile picture in the top right corner
- Click on Manage accounts
- Hover over the account you want to remove
- Click on the three dots and click Remove account.
- Repeat for all other accounts you would like to remove.
Resolving login issues on other devices
Signing out profiles on a Mac or PC:
- In a Chrome browser, click on the Profile picture in the top right corner
- Click the Manage people icon that looks like a cog
- Point to or hover over the person you want to remove.
- At the top right of the person, click the three dots
- Then click Remove this person.
- Confirm by clicking Remove this person.
- Then either add your school account, or select the right profile to continue
- Click on this link to sign out of all accounts: https://accounts.google.com/Logout?continue=https://www.google.com
- Sign back in using your school account.
- Open google.com
- Click on your profile picture
- Click on Sign out of all accounts