If you used the Hapara integration with Clever or PowerSchool before July 2016, this section is for you. (If you haven't used Clever or PowerSchool integration before please read this article).
The previous method of extracting a CSV from Clever or PowerSchool, manually editing the CSV, and then uploading the CSV into Hapara is greatly simplified from 1 Aug 2016.
The “manually edit” step is no longer necessary - it has been replaced by a new Sync Configuration wizard which allows you to configure how various Hapara features are used including:
- Class name
- How student subject folders are used
- How Google Blogs are used with students
- How Google Sites are used with students
- How Google Calendars are used with classes
- Who can view student emails
This configuration is permanently stored and is automatically applied each time you upload data from Clever or PowerSchool.
You now upload data using the new Sync page. Using this page, you can:
- schedule automatic daily uploads
- do one-off uploads whenever you want. Ad-hoc loads are now a single click operation.
Both scheduled and ad-hoc uploads apply the Sync Configuration. While most of your existing settings have been transferred into the new Sync Configuration, there are new settings that you will need specify.
Your Next Steps:
- Navigate to Hapara Admin Console > Data Loader > Sync Configuration and work your way through the Sync Configuration wizard.
- If you want to turn on automatic daily uploads, navigate to Hapara Admin Console > Data Loader > Sync and turn automatic daily uploads on.
- Otherwise, when you want to do an ad-hoc upload, navigate to Hapara Admin Console > Data Loader > Sync and do the one-off upload.
How Clever and PowerSchool information flows into Hapara:
This section summaries how the Hapara Data Loader takes key data from Clever and PowerSchool and loads it into Hapara.
Data Loader obtains the StudentEmail address as follows:
- For PowerSchool, the "contact_info_email" field is used
- For Clever, the "email" field is used
Data Loader obtains the ClassEmail address as follows:
- For PowerSchool, the "course_name" and "id" fields are combined as CourseName-Id
- For Clever, the "course_name" and "SIS_Id" fields are combined as CourseName-SISId. If "course_name" is blank, it is replaced with "course_number".
In all the above cases, the AcademicYearSuffix is appended to the ClassEmails
On the Sync Configuration page, a new configuration option allows you to chose how the ClassName is obtained. The options are:
On the Sync Configuration page, a new configuration option allows you to chose how the Subject Folder name(s) associated with the class are obtained. The options are:
- Secondary school: Each student has one folder matching ClassEmail
- Secondary school: Each student has one folder matching ClassName
- Secondary school: Each student has one folder matching CourseName
- Elementary school: Each student has the same set of subject folder(s) listed
- No student folders are created