What is School Separation?
If you are an administrator with a new or existing Hapara Dashboard domain, and you currently or plan to have multiple schools loaded into Hapara, we recommend that you set up School Separation. The School Separation feature allows for easier organization of classes and students, improved performance across all Hapara applications, and more flexibility for assigning administrative privileges to school-level personnel.
When School Separation is enabled, you can assign access to teachers and administrators in the following ways:
- All Classes in the Domain: Users in the td.users root Google Group can access all classes from every school in Hapara Dashboard.
- All Classes in a School:
- Teachers: If the 'All Classes' option is enabled within the Hapara Admin Console, teachers in Hapara Dashboard have visibility of all classes in the schools they teach. For example, if a teacher teaches classes at school abc, then they can access all classes in school abc. If the teacher teaches classes in schools abc and def, then they can access all classes in both schools abc and def.
- Other users: Users in td.users.<schoolcode> groups can access all classes in the school with the corresponding school code, even if they are not a teacher. These groups are created when School Separation is set up. For example, a staff member in the group td.users.abc can access all classes in school abc.
How do I enable School Separation?
- Log into your Hapara Admin Console with an admin account.
- Select Configuration > School Configuration.
- Check the box next to Enable School Separation.
Important: If you are an existing Hapara customer, and classes have already been loaded, please submit a support request for help migrating the existing classes to the School Separation configuration.
- For each school, specify the following:
- School Code, Required. A code to represent the school, this cannot contain spaces or special characters, and it must match the values that you put in the "school id" column of your classes spreadsheet. If you are syncing with PowerSchool or Clever, this is the 'School Number' value. If you are using Classlink the School Code is represented by the Source ID which is specified within your Organisational data.
- School Name, Required. A school's name – this will display in a drop down selection box on Hapara Dashboard's manage classes page, so try keep it relatively short if possible.
- School Years, (Grades) Optional. A comma-separated list of the years or grade levels at a school. This is for your reference only and does not affect Hapara Dashboard.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Please wait approximately 2 minutes per school before loading classes, as a background process must complete for each school before it is ready for School Separation classes.
- In your classes spreadsheet, add a column with the header "school id".
- Fill the cells in the school id column with the relevant school codes you listed in the Hapara Admin Console. If a class does not have a school id specified, it will not load to Hapara Dashboard.
The above process will create a Google Group named td.users.<school_code> for each school. As described above, members of these groups will be able to access classes for the corresponding schools even if they do not teach classes in Hapara Dashboard and do not have administrative access to Hapara Dashboard.