School districts with multiple schools can set up Hapara Dashboard so that teachers can only see classes from their own schools. This feature is called School Separation, and this article describes how to set up School Separation.
How It Works
School Separation restricts which classes certain users can access in Hapara Dashboard:
- Domain super-admins and members of the td.users group can access all classes from every school in Hapara Dashboard.
- Teachers of classes in Hapara Dashboard can access all classes of the schools that the teachers' classes belong to. For example, if a teacher teaches classes at school ABC, then the teacher can access all classes in school ABC. If the teacher teaches classes in schools ABC and DEF, then the teacher can access all classes in both schools ABC and DEF.
- Members of the td.users.<school_code> groups.
These users can access the classes in the school with the corresponding school code. These groups are created when Hapara Dashboard is set up. For example, a staff member in the group td.users.abc can access all classes in school abc.
Setting Up School Separation
- Log into your Hapara Admin Console with an admin account.
- Select Configuration > School Configuration.
- Check the box next to Enable School Separation.
If classes have already been loaded, please submit a support request to migrate the existing classes to the School Separated configuration.
- For each school, specify the following:
- School Code, Required. A code to represent the school, this cannot contain spaces or special characters, and it must match the values that you put in the "school id" column of your classes spreadsheet. If you are syncing with PowerSchool or Clever, this is the 'School Number' value.
- School Name, Required. A school's name, this will display in a drop down selection box on Hapara Dashboard's manage classes page, so try keep it shorter if possible.
- School Years, (Grades) Optional. A comma-separated list of the years or grade levels at a school. This is for your reference, it is not a required field.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Please wait approximately 2 minutes per school added before loading classes as there are processes scripts that run the background to set up each school added.
- In your classes spreadsheet, add a column with the header "school id".
- Fill the cells in the school id column with the relevant school codes you listed in the Hapara Admin Console. If a class does not have a school id specified, it will not load to Hapara Dashboard.
This will create a Google Group named td.users.<school_code> for each school. As described above, members of these groups will be able to access classes for the corresponding schools even though they do not teach classes in Hapara Dashboard and do not have administrative access to Hapara Dashboard.