In this article
- Individual Learning Plans overview
- Setting up the Individual Learning Plan document
- How to make new Individual Learning Plans for a new template
Individual Learning Plans overview
Individual Learning Plans—also known as ILPs, Student Notes or Teacher Notes—are files that let all of a student's teachers share notes about the student. There is one ILP per student, and only a student’s teachers can open it. The document follows students from year to year to provide new teachers with context about their students.
ILPs are created based on a template that the school provides, so they can be a Google document, spreadsheet, presentation, or drawing.
Once Individual Learning Plans are created, they can be accessed via the Student Notes button in the top right corner of each student's panel in Teacher Dashboard:
Note - as with all student records, local laws and guidelines should be followed in regards to who can access these documents, where they are stored and for how long.
Setting up the Individual Learning Plan document
- Create a template file for your Individual Learning Plans. It can be a Google doc, spreadsheet, presentation, or drawing. NOTE: This file must be named "template".
- Share the template with your school's Institutional Content Owner account with edit access, this account is usually named school.apps.owner@<student_domain>
- Login as your Institutional Content Owner account and open My Drive. IE: Log in as school.apps.owner@<student_domain> or whatever this account may have been renamed to. If you do not know this account's password, you can reset it as a domain super-admin.
- In My Drive, create a folder named "Individual Learning Plans", "Teacher Notes", "Student Notes", or whatever you prefer.
- Save your template file to the newly created folder.
- Open your Hāpara Admin Console as a Hāpara administrator.
- Go to Modules > Teacher Notes.
- Under the Teacher Notes section, enter the name of the folder you've created in the School Apps Owner Google Drive.
- Click Save.
- Reload your student data, checking the box next to 'Reprocess every student/class'. If your school uses SIS integration, then please contact us for help with this step.
The student load will check whether students already have an Individual Learning Plan, and it will only create an ILP for a student if the student does not already have one.
How to make new Individual Learning Plans from a new template
If you would like to give students new Individual Learning Plans based on a new template, then please do the following:
- Login to Google Drive as your School Apps Owner account.
- Open the folder containing your ILP template file.
- In addition to your ILP template file, you will see documents named with students' usernames. These are students' ILPs.
- Remove all files from this folder, including the old ILP template. To save them, move them into another folder. Otherwise, simply delete them.
- Go through the steps above to put a new template file in the folder and copy that template.